Ricoh Caplio R1V review

Started Jun 14, 2005 | User reviews
jpullen
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?
Ricoh Caplio R1V review
Jun 14, 2005

I paid about £200 for this camera and for that sort of money it seems really good. It took a little while to get used to using a P&S (I have a DSLR as my main camera) but now feel quite used to it.

It's excellent 'near instant' image capture time - what-you-snap-is-what-you-get - is excellent and the 4.8 zoom is also good.

The body is solid and feels good in the hand and I image could withstand a few bashes.

The macro function is excellent, but obviously requires a steady hand.

Overall, I would highly recommend this camera for it's flexible zoom and imperceptible shutter lag.

Problems:

The only thing I'm not really impressed with is the flash. Your subject needs to be at just the right distance away or they are completely washed out. I assume this must be true of most P&S cameras though as the flash aperture is so small.

The power off feature (while reviewing) is annoying though. After 30 secs or so of pic review, the lens retracts into the body and you have to turn the camera on and off to get it back out. It would be better if you just switched off the reply mode back to shooting mode to do this.

jpullen's gear list:jpullen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Nikon D200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +3 more
jpullen's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads