Nikon Coolpix 5200 review

Started Aug 6, 2005 | User reviews
Human
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Nikon Coolpix 5200 review
Aug 6, 2005

I had the Nikon Coolpix 5200 for a couple of weeks and I've now returned it. I'm a novice so I can't possibly give a proper in depth review. There aren't any other reviews here, so I may as well share my opinion.

The cam was an impulse buy. I urgently needed a cam. I took over 1000 shots with it... I was pretty unsatisfied considering I paid $600 for it here in Australia. Not including the 128 MB SD card and extra warranty, which were also refunded. I definitely paid much more than this camera is worth.

Generally, the images were soft.

With a LOT of the shots I took, the images were either overexposed or underexposed.

The noise was bad in low light settings, on the lowest ISO setting... whether I used the flash or not.

But there seemed to be very low level of noise in better lighting (outdoors)

4 cm isn't an amazing figure, but the macro on this cam is really good.

Colours were pretty accurate... a little dramatic sometimes but that's a good thing for me

The camera looks good, seemed allright to hold, fits in a regular decent sized pocket.

Pretty easy to use.

I didn't notice any extreme flaws... there was a bit of purple fringing... didn't notice many halo artifacts, or jaggies... but the review on this site would be better at judging that of course.

Problems:

Listed what I could think of. I would advise you to try the cam out for yourself if you have a high interest... but I returned it because it wasn't worth anywhere near what I paid for it...

It's okay if you just want a point-and-shoot to whip out of your pocket. I wanted something with more manual controls, and the image quality was nothing to rave about. I think this site says in their conclusion that better quality is achieved by image editing programmes... not something I'm interested in.

Human's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads