Minolta DiMAGE A1 review

Started Sep 13, 2005 | User reviews
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Minolta DiMAGE A1 review
Sep 13, 2005

I sold my Olympus C-5060WZ camera and bought this one. I did it mainly for its limited range and having a motor zoom that I couldn't stand. In fact I hate the idea, don't know why camera makers insist on motor zooms! This camera feels right in hand and is a joy to use, with outstanding features like anti-shake, manual zooming, and very useful range (28mm-200mm). The camera body has so many dials and buttons that there is almost no need to go through the menu to change settings, I really love taking pictures with it. Image quality is good but not excellent.

Problems:

Pictures taken using on-camera flash are really bad/useless (as with most other cameras). The camera's hot-shoe is non-standard (is for Minolta flashes only). This is bad news, as I cannot use my nice Vivitar 283 flash that I used for numerous previous cameras I owned. I could connect it via PC Sync port, but then I would have to hold it in one hand and hold the camera with the other, or use a bulky bracket; neither idea is appealing. I'm stuck, on-camera flash sucks and Minolta flashes are very expensive.
Long exposures of more than 5 seconds result in too many hot pixels even with noise reduction on! I was gonna buy a remote cable release; not any more, it's useless. I don't think there is any other camera that produces this much hot pixels.

151976's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads