Olympus Stylus Verve (mju mini Digital) review

Started Oct 9, 2005 | User reviews
martingrumet
Regular MemberPosts: 426
Like?
Olympus Stylus Verve (mju mini Digital) review
Oct 9, 2005

Small, cute, and probably marked down.
This is a point and shoot camera. It can be a good choice if you like to keep things simple, or it can be a good choice if you want a light backup to your better camera. Image quality is really quite good for its category. Sharpening and contrast are set higher than I'd like. Most of the time it works out just right for a 4 X 6 inch print without software editing. A few underexposed shots benefited from software editing. A few were at the edge of overexposure, for which the high contrast setting can be unforgiving. Noise levels are high at ISO 400 and in low light. Most of this disappears at printer resolution for 4 x 6 prints. There are competing cameras that outperform it, but the saving grace of the Verve is that the ones still available are probably on clearance sale.
You can change the quality from HQ (default) to SHQ, and I recommend this. Change Setup from All Reset On (default) to All Reset Off, and the camera will remember the changes. There is no remote, but there is a tripod socket and a self timer.

Compared to my Olympus C-5050, one surprising virtue of the Verve was fast shutter response.

Problems:

None that make me regret the purchase for its intended use.

Battery compartment door is flimsy, although retaining clips on battery and xD card make accidents unlikely.
I did find an extra LI-30B battery at a camera store, but many electronics stores don't carry them. Limited optical zoom is self evident.

martingrumet's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads