Pentax Optio A10 review

Started Mar 20, 2006 | User reviews
neil_aldrin
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Pentax Optio A10 review
Mar 20, 2006

I’ve been using the Optio S4 for a couple years and I wanted to upgrade this ultra-compact camera to something new. Without doing much research, I bought the Pentax A10. The A10 is larger than the Optio S4, but I was interested in having the Shake Reduction component.

What I liked about the A10:

(Positives)

• Nice, clear 2.5” LCD screen

• Intuitive controls

• Small size (though larger than the Altoid tin sized Optio S4)

Problems:

What I didn’t like:

• Photo noise: this is to be expected with an ultra compact camera, but I thought the photo noise to be excessive in the A10

• The ‘nice’ 2.5” LCD screen becomes washed out in bright sunlight. On ski trips I’d almost be guessing how to compose a shot.

• Jerky, lagging zoom

• Odd double-flash occurs on all flash shots (similar to the red-eye reduction flash on other cameras)

For anyone interested -- I had an opportunity to compare the Casio EX-S600 side-by-side with the Pentax A10.

The Casio’s screen is smaller and grainier, but I ended up with better photos. I had a false sense of security from the A10 LCD screen-- photos look good on the LCD, less good when loaded onto the computer.

Other A10/S600 comparisons: the Casio EX-S600 has less photo noise; the EX-S600 flash fills in better; the S600 has a faster start-up time and its camera body construction feels more solid; the LCD screen in sunlight is superior to the A10; the zoom on the Casio is smoother without the A10's jerky, hesitating operation.

I’m returning the A10. It’s one of those things where you were hoping for the best upgrading from an older camera to a newer camera within the same company. But, in several key areas, the Casio EX-S600 performs better. And, the clincher for me: the Casio is less bulky.

neil_aldrin's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads