Pentax Optio 750Z review

Started May 5, 2006 | User reviews
D G
D G
Contributing MemberPosts: 928
Like?
Pentax Optio 750Z review
May 5, 2006

I've used this camera for about a month now. It's a really enjoyable camera to use and very flexible. I have a Pentax *ist DS dslr, as well as a Pentax MZ-S 35mm SLR and I consider this 750z my main camera now. This is due to it's small size and excellent image quality, which while it cannot quite match the above SLRs in certain circumstances is truly close enough in most situations. Resolution is excellent and noise at ISO 200 and 400 is well controlled, and not worth considering IMO at ISO 80 and 100.

This 750z is replacing to other excellent digicams, a Ricoh Caplio GX, and a Konica Minolta A2. While it may be measurably slower than those cameras, I haven't found any circumstances that it has been too slow for yet, and that tells me that for the way I shoot photos, the concerns about shooting speed are irrelevant. The fact is that shutter lag after prefocussing is very short.

The lens does have some distortion, as I'd expect from a 5X zoom as compact as this. But that is easily corrected where necessary by PTLens which has a profile for the 750Z. More important to me is the excellent corner to corner sharpness, and the almost total lack of purple fringing, and the flare resistance from Pentax's SMC coating.

Also, I like the look of the 750z and the relatively large optical viewfinder.

The more I use the 750z the more I appreciate it. It is exceeding my expectations, and far exceeds the impression created by the dpreview review and some others.

I have to say the Pentax 750z must be one of the most underrated digital cameras there is. I'm glad I took a chance and got one of these.

Problems:

No problems so far.

D G's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads