Olympus FE-120 (X-700) review

Started May 23, 2006 | User reviews
rick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,539
Like?
Olympus FE-120 (X-700) review
May 23, 2006

this is a nice small camera . I am revising this after further use., I can only compare to with a little better much more expensive Sony w7 . Why? They are the only two smaller cameras I had for a fair amount of time to test. Inside, this camera consistently beats the w7 for white balance and sharpness especially in the all important without flash department. Outside so far, the W7 beats this for over all operation by a little but not that much, because w7 has same zoom but longer distance and probably better lens and white balance ( just my preference)but for the price, the olympus is a very good little camera to have if you can't afford the W7. Two double aa batteries are a plus that seems to last an eternity which is a huge plus. The fact that this gets sharper photos even if just inside makes the w7 outdated. Cameras have come a long way from a few years ago and this olympus is really an ok camera.. So the benefits: small camera, not too tiny lens, nice operation speed, (not too slow buffer or shutter but not a speed demond eithersadly), very nice photos with good detail, great indoor shots with good sharpeness,fantastic battery life ( probably the longest I ever was able to go without changing the double aa batteries, and we are talking hours and hours),able to capture the outside moving shot barely and tremendous bargain.

Problems:

zoom is same 3x as Sony but Sony gets a better distant shots which might be why the Fe-120 gets better close up shots. I paid $129 for this , almost half the price of the w7 and how can one complain for what you get for that? You can't. I gave the features a 4 because for what it is , it does well but no custom controls. This is a terrific buy for the money but still its lens don't quite measure up to the Sony w7.

rick's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads