Casio Exilim EX-Z500 review

Started Jun 13, 2006 | User reviews
Jeffrey Kaplan
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Casio Exilim EX-Z500 review
Jun 13, 2006

I bought this camera to replace a Sony DSC-U30 mini camera, and it just may also replace my larger Sony DSC-S80 as well. I had four criteria: Less than $275, will fit in my breast pocket, and takes an SD card rather than Memory Stick, Xd or MiniSD, and image quality, of course.

At first, I was a little hesitent on the image quality as there was a lot of noise on the display when in Rec mode in the store, but no such problems on the actual picture or later in brighter conditions, must've been the relatively low light in the store.

Setup is mostly reasonably straight forward via the menus, but I wish a few of the functions were accessable directly from the physical controls as on my S80.

On the S80, I can change the exposure mode and metering mode and use the self-timer with a single button, and I kept the image size selector as the last menu item used so changing image size was also a one-button access (for me). All of these you have to scroll through menus to access on the EX500.

For ME, since I usually set-and-forget the options, it's not much of a deal... until I need/want to change one and have to scroll through all of the settings because I can't remember if, forex, "Size" is a Rec option or a Qaulity option.

Problems:

Only problem so far was figuring out how to get it to stop changing my preferred metering mode when it starts up.

Jeffrey Kaplan's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads