Pentax *ist DL2 review

Started Jun 20, 2006 | User reviews
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
New MemberPosts: 14
Pentax *ist DL2 review
Jun 20, 2006

I am already a Pentax user, owning a brilliant MZ-10 AF SLR. A Sigma 28-80mm mini-macro, 100-300mm F4.5-6.7 and EF430 flashgun complete my system. I like other Pentax users have been waiting for both the availibility and price of a digital body to become accessible. Well this month they did. The *ist DL2 is now retailing at £350 with 18-55 lens. First week impressions follow.

Noticed that the camera tends to slight under exposure, but this maybe a question of taste. It is easy to use and has produced excellent images straight from the box. Even a cropped image (2000x1400 pixels) printed to A4 was excellent. This suggests that quality printing to A3 will be possible. Already used the DL2 tripod mounted with the 100-300mm lens and impressed with images.

Ergonomic design could be better, such as ISO setting as a film camera, not menu. Don't like auto pop up flash. I like AA battery use. This camera is well specified with a choice of preview method. Custom functions are possible and I have used the "OK" button for spot focus. Included is an auto-picture mode that selects the correct program depending on nearness and lens focal length. This makes camera very user friendly. Suprised that Pentax 18-55mm lens will focus to just four inches, which matches my Sigma mini-macro.

Overall, another brilliant Pentax. Just can't buy better at this price.

(Added May 2009, next month this camera will be three years old.

No problems, obviously well built!!!!! )

Electronics on the DL2 are NOT compatible with DEDICATED 35mm AF ZOOM HEAD flashguns. (Cannot use my Sigma EF430 flash with this camera)

RobGee's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads