Leica D-LUX 2 review

Started Jul 4, 2006 | User reviews
Ciro Saito
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
Leica D-LUX 2 review
Jul 4, 2006

Bought a D-Lux 2 at B&H in NYC due to the compact size of a 28mm wide lens camera (I am an architect). Coming back to Brazil I discovered that my extra original battery does not work. Sent email to Germany to solve the problem, no answer until now. Am going to Berlin next week, sent this info to Leica but no answer . Pictures are not convincing to a famous lens/camera maker. Must admit Sony T30, H1 and R1 give better same photos. Former Nikon F2 user, 8400 has too much shutter lag. To avoid L-2 camera to slip from hand, i put a Velcro (only one side) in the smooth front;it gives better handle. Poor LCD vision in direct sunlight, even with more internal illumination in the screen. Try Sony T30 and you will understand the difference. Am frustrated with this camera, hope Leica improves it, as it is good in size and weight, has wide lens for my needs.
Am going to Bilbao, Valencia, Barcelona, Paris, Berlin, will take also Sony T30 and H1(w/ wide adapter) to guarantee the photos. Tried to reduce weight and bulky bag, but am returning to Nikon F, F2 and Leica M3 and lenses times, although completely digital.

Problems:

Did send email to Leica in Germany to find an address for assistance in Germany due to problems in extra battery, no answer until now that I came back from Germany to Brazil. Gave also my address in Berlin. I am very frustrated with the negligence with the post sale service. The actual Leica quality remains only in its round red logo. Very bad screen to use in daylight. Do not spend money in this camera, try the cheaper Japan made Panasonic. Maybe the customer service will be better.

On September 1st, after exchange of several emails with Leica Germany, they sent me by mail and free of charge a new battery which I received today and am testing now. Thanks, Leica!

Ciro Saito's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads