Nikon Coolpix L3 review

Started Jul 6, 2006 | User reviews
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
kaiser48 Junior Member • Posts: 27
Nikon Coolpix L3 review

I bought this as a walk around camera. It slips easily into a shirt pocket and uses alkialine, lithium or NMHi AA batteries. The L3 generally produces very good images. I love the D-light feature (in-camera processing of darker images) and the in-camera red-eye reduction works brilliantly.

I carry this camera with me everywhere with me these days - it's so easy to carry and use. Start-up is fast enough for most situations, and image writing times are reasonable, for my style of photgraphy. Battery life seems to be excellent - at least 250 shots per charge.

There are 15 scene modes which I guess I'll get round to using some time. The menu system is very easy to use.

Another feature I've come to appreciate is the in-camera cropping - it's easy to zoom in on a section of a picture and crop to what you see on screen. You don't lose the original, either.

Problems:

Yes, some aspects of this camera took a little getting used to. Sensitivity range is limited to 3 stops 50, 100, 200, (non-selectable) which makes some shots difficult. It took a while to get used to not having an optical viewfinder - composing on the monitor can be tricky and lead to camera shake.

Movie mode is quite good, but the sound recording sucks.

Nikon Coolpix L3
5 megapixels • 2 screen • 38 – 116 mm (3.1×)
Announced: Feb 21, 2006
kaiser48's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads