Casio Exilim EX-S600 review

Started Aug 9, 2006 | User reviews
rjvc
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Casio Exilim EX-S600 review
Aug 9, 2006

I bought this camera mainly because it was the smallest one I could find. Amazon seem to be the cheapest and sell it for £80 less than Jessops and the like. I own a Canon 350D and the purpose of the casio is something to have with me all the time and for the rare occasions that I dont have my Canon to hand and also as a tool for takling pictures as sighters for possible future shots with my canon. I'm not one for reading manuals and so far have found no problems with setting the camera up and the menu features. I did browse through the manual provided and for those new to photography it could be a little confusing. As seems to be the norm these days, you get what you think is a comprehensive manual, but it turns out to have 10 languages and only a few of them are English. Fear not mind you as there is a PDF manual on the CD provided which is over 200 pages, all of which are English and this goes into the detail which is lacking on the hard copy. The camera is easy to use and even though it is very small it fits comfortably in my large hands. The best shot feature is useful and simple to use. The image quality is good for a camera of this size and even produces good results in low light. I havent tinkered much with the movie mode but it seems to be pretty good quality, even on a large TV. Overall I have been very impressed with this little camera. It fits in my jacket or shirt pocket and takes more than adequate quality shots. I would say it is aimed at the novice photographer and comes into the fun / boys toys category. It more than needs my requirements as a small backup camera, though those wanting a little bit of control with excellent image quality may need to look elsewhere.

Problems:

No real problems encountered so far.
Some images do show a little noise, but nothing that cant be removed in photoshop.
When F2.7 is used you tend to get a dark area in the corner, though it is hardly noticable and can be cropped out easily enough.
My only niggle is that the autofocus is quite noisy.

rjvc's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads