Pentax Optio WP review

Started Aug 10, 2006 | User reviews
Julesagogo
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Pentax Optio WP review
Aug 10, 2006

Biggest problem: fogging.

I purchased the Pentax Optio WP in Sept. 2005 and have been using it consistently since that time. I'll try to keep this review simple; I was prompted to make it due to what I consider a large flaw. I kayak and wanted a camera I could put in my lifejacket pocket and not worry about.

Pros: Easy-to-use controls (intuitive), short shutter lag, nice footprint (small), silicone skin, loooong battery life (compared to my old Canon that used AAs), WATERPROOF

Cons: No viewfinder, LENS FOGS INSIDE

In some cases when on a cool river or during a cloudy day, I would take the camera out of my life jacket and as soon as the sun hit it, condensation would appear on the lens inside and the inside of the external lens cover. I would have to wait about 10 minutes for it to go away. This happens quite a bit kayaking. Here is evidence: http://www.julesagogo.coastals.org/pics_n_vids/boating/20060701-0705_Week_of_Rivers/uneditedOrig/thumb.html
The third row shows the fogging. (edit: weird, link doesn't show up, it's not commercial)

My advice is to read the user manual thoroughly BEFORE you buy a camera. On page 4 of the user manual it states "If the camera is subjected to rapid temperature changes, condensation may form on the inside and outside of the camera. Therefore put the camera in a bag or plastic bag, and take the camera out when the difference in temperature has subsided."

Problems:

Condensation (fog) on inside of camera on lens

Julesagogo's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads