Pentax *ist DL2 review

Started Aug 17, 2006 | User reviews
Alexander Shap
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Pentax *ist DL2 review
Aug 17, 2006

Bought my Pentax ist DL2 two days ago from Jessops in London. By some reason its being discontinued. In the first branch of Jessops was only ex-display left. Before buying checked inside the body and found lots of dust! Jessops refused to give discount or guarantee easy return if any problems. As the result, went to other branch of Jessop and got one boxed. Do not go for ex-display, those cameras there for ages!
Bought camera for £349.00+ leather carry case for £20(on carry case got £5 discount after saying that I will look on e-bay first and that can come back to Jessops any time)

Its my first SLR camera, before had Canon ixus 500. Firstly, wanted to buy lighter camera with 12 optical zoom, but when tried Canon S3 and Panasonic Z7 did not like the build at all. Learned about the size of the sensors in SLR cameras and made my mind to go for ently level digital SLR.

Like very much the build,very solid(even better then Canon 350D), very compact(was looking for a smaller DSLR).

I got large hands, but its feel very nice to hold.

Flash is very good, even without red eyes reduction no red eyes(had big problem with ixus 500).

Very good screen, large bright,perfect.

Used my old rechargeable batteries and using mini SD card with adoptor(got it from my mobile phone). The mini SD is not fast speed but do not have any problems.
Started from the manual, tried with different fanctions and its look like on auto pictures are constantly perfect.
Standard lenses 18-55 are good enough in-door, but in the park useless. Consider to buy lenses with longer range not sure which ones to go for. could be 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Sigmar or Tomron (price from 189.00£ to 240.00£). There must be some draw backs in having all in one, but I am not good in lenses yet.

Very happy with this camera, put in features 4.5 only because not discovered it fully yet and because no video recording. Same with picture quality, there must be much better cameras which take better pictures, but this one is good enough for me.

Problems:

Over all very happy with the camera. When buying planned to keep it for 6 months and after replace it with better one. Now considering to keep it for much longer, this camera is perfect for me.

1.When flash works making strange noice, not sure may be its normal
2.Not worked out how to change picture stile on Auto, want it in natural
3.Standard lenses 18-55 are good enough in-door, but in the park useless. Consider to buy lenses with longer range not sure which ones to go. could be 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Sigmar or Tomron (price from 189.00£ to 240.00£).
4.There no video recording, even my old ixus 500 had it(or may be I have not found it yet). The other entry level SLRs Sony a100, Canon 350D got one.

Alexander Shap's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads