Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX8 review

Started Aug 27, 2006 | User reviews
scatpack
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX8 review
Aug 27, 2006

A little jewel! I'm tickled to bits with the FX8, my 6th digi-cam. I'd decided to replace my faithfull old Canon Ixus 330 with the new Canon Ixus 800is, but they didn't have it at the airport, so I took a chance on the FX8, with a similar spec, including OIS, for half the price of the Canon!

It's very compact, with a big 2.5" screen, and a gorgeous all metal body. It's fast and responsive, and the images are bright, vivid and sharp. I took over 200 shots on our vacation, and still haven't had to re-charge the battery.

The only drawback is that the large LCD monitor leaves no room for a conventional viewfinder, and there's less than a postage stamp of real estate on the back to put your thumb, which has resulted in me inadvertently pressing menu buttons.

The OIS works great, enabling you to take acceptably sharp pics at 1/8 sec, but you can't escape a little graininess at very low light levels.

All in all though, I'd recommend this camera highly. I understand that its successor the FX9 has a higher resolution screen and an extra MP, but I'm not sure of the price. This one is a bargain at £155

Problems:

None so far.

scatpack's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads