Casio Exilim EX-S600 review

Started Aug 28, 2006 | User reviews
Jason Rogers
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Casio Exilim EX-S600 review
Aug 28, 2006

This camera really has just about everything you would want in a P&S -- great size, solid construction, good ergonomics, unbelievable number of settings (for a P&S), intuitive menu navigation, brilliant and huge LCD screen, minimial shutter lag, dynamite battery, and so on. Just about everything.

Unfortunately, the difference in image quality between the Casio and the Fujifilm Finepix F30 I ended up buying instead is only slightly less pronounced than the gap between a disposable camera and an SLR. Now maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but not by much; the Casio only produces images of acceptable quality in bright light. Even outdoor shots on overcast days are frequently disappointing (to me). Forget about low-light indoor shots. Quality at ISO 400 is fair to poor, and at 800 it is just unjustifiably bad. Fuji and some other makers seem to have finally realized that people actually do frequently use P&S cameras in lower-light situations. Casio either does not acknowledge this fact or is simply incapable of producing a product at this price that performs these tasks acceptably. I can't rate image quality as "average," because, for me, unacceptable quality half of the time is scarcely better than unacceptable quality all of the time.

I acknowledge that I am probably more picky than most P&S buyers in this regard, but I cannot fathom how anyone who has owned a good dSLR or even another comparably-priced digital P&S from Canon to Pentax to Nikon to Fujifilm could abide this fatal weakness.

I spent many, many hours with this camera and the F30 before ultimately choosing the latter, and I really and truly wanted to love the Casio, given all of its features. There's just no getting past the low-rent lens and circuitry for me, however.

Problems:

As stated before, fair to very poor image quality in low- to medium-light situations.

Also, having to charge the battery in-camera is a nuisance.

Jason Rogers's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads