Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX7 review

Started Sep 5, 2006 | User reviews
Saint Viper
Regular MemberPosts: 229
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX7 review
Sep 5, 2006

A very nice little camera. Bought it mostly for the size. The fact that there's no optical viewfinder and the 2.5 inch screen is fairly low res hasn't been a problem. Lack of control isn't a problem either as I wouldn't even care to bother with that on a camera like this.

Auto settings do fairly good job in most conditions. The image stabilized lens leads to sharp pictures almost all the time. Battery life and noise are problem areas. Noise isn't a problem for well list shots, but this is not a camera for low light conditions.

Problems:

The camera has some serious issues that detract from it's overall quality. First is battery life. I'm not sure how they get these CIPA standards, but in real life I get less than 50 shots per battery charge. This is by far the most serious drawback with this camera and becomes an issue almost every time I use it.

Second, the sensor is fairly noisy. Sure this can be fixed in post processing, but post processing is not something most people that buy point and shoots want to do.

Panasonics in general produce images with more noise than average. It's too bad because they've fixed the battery problem on newer versions of this camera, but noise is still an issue. If they ever get a handle on the noise, Panasonic will be the camera to beat in almost every area.

Saint Viper's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads