Fujifilm FinePix Z3 review

Started Nov 15, 2006 | User reviews
Bartholomew
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Fujifilm FinePix Z3 review
Nov 15, 2006

I've got a Fuji 7000 and an E550 (same innards) which are still better than the 9000 range but I wanted a smaller camera to carry around for those convenient shots where I didn't want or need to have "professional" shots.

I tested the Z3 against my E550 and a loan F20 and was very surprised to see extremely comparable shots between them. The 7000 is better at macro and finer detail but of the smaller cameras, the Z3 more than held its own. In fact, in some shots, was better than the F20 with its "real" lens etc.

Low light and normal had excellent detail, colour, white balance and minimal grain.

I can still play with the exposure a bit and the scene shots, which I've never used before, actually work well.

For 99% of requirements, it does an excellent job. See macro problems below.

It's tiny size, convenience and brilliant shots have now placed it in my pocket or man's bag and I look forward to capturing family and general shots with confidence.

Problems:

Nothing yet, but I'm wondering if and when the slide cover will get caught on things as it protrudes a couple of mm out from the body.

Macro mode sometimes doesn't focus on tiny flowers with high contrast but it didn't have that problem with a slightly larger subject in macro. Anyway, if I knew I wanted to get serious with tiny macro, I'd use the 7000.

Bartholomew's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads