Casio Exilim EX-S770 review

Started Nov 26, 2006 | User reviews
BigMax
Contributing MemberPosts: 998
Like?
Casio Exilim EX-S770 review
Nov 26, 2006

I have the s770 and the z850. The s770 has a focus/sharpness problem when new, and stopped working properly too. Came back from warranty repair, and it's fine. I really like this camera. Good: slim, sharp looking, mpeg-4 video, fast pix with good quality, super easy to use, good iso 800 mode. Not so good: no shutter priority mode, not quite as sharp pix as the z850.

If the cam is set to anti-shake, with flash off, it will often go to iso 800 with a pretty good shutter speed, so you can take nice low light pix handheld. To me, this is an unexpected feature that I really like. The grain is there, as with any small camera at iso800, but it is nicely processed grain--like the grain you see on high iso color film. These pix are pretty good up to 8x10 enlargement, and even better if post processed with a noise reduction program. Lower iso pix are very good, though, as mentioned, not quite as sharp as the z850.

The wide screen allows for a panel mode of choosing settings, instead of the thumb wheel on the z. This mode is extremely easy and user friendly, and I think is a major advance in user interface tech. I've just started to use the data/document mode, and it seems quite nice.

If this cam had longer shutter speeds, and shutter priority, I'd give it a 10/10 for what its class. As it is, 9/10.

Problems:

Focus/sharpness program and defect as noted. The reviewer here who had bad pix problems should send the cam back for warranty repair. Casio replaced my lens assembly, and it is fine.

BigMax's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads