Olympus Stylus 720 SW (mju 720 SW Digital) review

Started Jan 29, 2007 | User reviews
CraigHD
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Olympus Stylus 720 SW (mju 720 SW Digital) review
Jan 29, 2007

I bought this camera in May 2006, and it has had two big vacations since, plus many
small events. For a camera that can be in your pocket, in the pool, and dropped on a
parking lot (Oops-I did it!) it is wonderful. People complaining about indoor quality
appear to have missed the secret weapon--the available light mode (mode 10). At this
mode it generates about a half-sized picture, but with the equivalent of ISO 2500-and
a much cleaner picture than regular ISO 1600. For an added bonus, this doubles the
number of pictures the memory card can hold. I only use the full size 7.1 picture
outside or with flash. Camera often over-exposes, so manually adjust brightness.

Problems:

I graded down on "Ease of use" because the scene modes, such as available light,
are awkward to get at. The camera turns on to program mode, then can be cycled
to anti-shake mode, and finally to scene mode. At least it offers the last used mode
first. This is a considerable penalty for turning off the camera, which needs to be
done whenever possible, because the other big problem is short battery life. I own
three batteries, and on a busy outing can run down all three. I also wish I could
lock ISO-2500 to keep shutter short. This said, I have taken hundreds of pictures
with this camera, and I love it! But I also have a camcorder and a DSLR for when I
am not jumping in lake, and want the best picture I can get.

CraigHD's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads