Pentax Optio M30 review

Started Mar 23, 2007 | User reviews
Nordin
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?
Pentax Optio M30 review
Mar 23, 2007

I picked this up specifically for carrying around in my pocket so I could have a decent camera to catch anything random that I may miss otherwise. It has surprised me in a good way.

Highlights for me
- compact, fits in my pocket
- good price point - $179 at costco
- iso 3200 (extremely noisy, but it's great to give the user the option!)
- movie mode does 640x480 @ 30fps and allows zooming and does exposure compensation on the fly. Movie size limited only to available space on your SD card.
- Very acceptable image quality if you force the iso to something low and use flash with that.
- Clear, large screen with no noticeable video lag.
- A 22 MB included internal memory, in case you leave your SD card at home, you can still take photos! That's pretty cool.

Negatives for me:
- No internal tilt sensor - meaning all images are considered landscape, even if you are taking a portrait. So images are saved with no orientation tag so you must rotate them manually. Very annoying since I'm used to this being done automatically with my two other digicams.
- The "full auto green mode" seems to choose higher isos with the flash in low light conditions.. Meaning you get grainy images with flash. Most of the time unnecessary, if you manually force a lower iso and use flash quality is fine.
- The cover for the battery/SD compartment feels very cheap. Kinda like it might break at some point if you're not careful.

There is no RAW mode on the camera, or a manual mode, but I didn't list those as negatives for me as this is not my "main" camera. It is simply a carry anywhere cam that I can catch spontaneous moments; partys, a night out, around work, with the kids etc. I still expect a decent quality print at 4x6 and 5x7's and it does that no problem. So for me, it does what it needs to do well!

Problems:

None yet.

Nordin's gear list:Nordin's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +4 more
Nordin's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads