Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX30 review

Started Apr 17, 2007 | User reviews
dizzle
Regular MemberPosts: 321
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX30 review
Apr 17, 2007

The build quality is phenomenal ... definitely a Leica designer hidden somewhere in there. Everything appears to be some form of magnesium alloy or other metal, save for the buttons and screen. Even the access door to the power and data ports is metal and spring hinged. The ergonomics just make sense, without being too fluffy. I'm glad we purchased the black too. I was worried it would be anodized, but instead it's some sort of pigmented rubberized coating. Subtle, but enough to add additional grip.

I scanned the manual, and applying what I'd read here I set a few initial settings. ISO 200, Natural color mode, IS Mode 2, Active Histogram On (Yes, there is a real-time active histogram! - useless with flash, but great in natural light), Grid On, Shutter beep off ... etc. No more dedicated IS button ... you set it on the internal menu instead, so no more accidental bumping.

The few images I shot off last night came out nice. Crisp, no real visible noise, great colors. I will try to post them later. They were all low light, so I used the flash (I was also set on ISO200).
Macro performance has a nice shallow DOF and quick, close focusing range.

Overall I'm really impressed with this little guy. Can't wait to get it outside on a sunny day.

Problems:

None so Far

dizzle's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads