Fujifilm FinePix E500 Zoom review

Started May 25, 2007 | User reviews
Symphony
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Fujifilm FinePix E500 Zoom review
May 25, 2007

I have had this camera for nearly three years it is my third digital camera and I am ready for the next step up. As a handy point and shoot with a few extra features it is a very good camera. It is easy on the batteries and I get 129 images on a 512MB xD card at full res fine. My interests are flowers and roses, clouds and sunsets, scenes and water, trains and old buses and my black and white cat. It takes excellent indoor photos with the flash and is very good for pet photography.

I have been experimenting with settings and find the best ISO is 200 and the chrome setting can produce good colour and sharper detail in macro on heavy petalled flowers like peonies but be careful with reds and oranges which this camera is poor at anyway. The fine macro is generally very good but do not attempt to use it after dusk as you will just get a blurred image.

It took me a while to learn where to access the features in f and settings but it is easy once you have learned.

The AVI movies are very good but only one minute at a very low resolution is not good enough for me.

Most of the photos I take benefit from editing otherwise they look dull and flat. I mostly use PSP8 but do have Photoshop and other applications I sometimes use.

Since posting this review I have bought a 1GB Type H card and is it fast! The card holds over 500 images at full res fine.

If you just want a good point and shoot camera which you can fit in your pocket, handbag or car glove compartment I can recommend it but for me personally I am looking at SLR like cameras for my next one.

Problems:

I find it unreliable when photographing dark objects. It is useless for photographing trains, no problem with them moving if you use the right settings but trains are dark objects and even on a bright day you get dark pictures and changing the ISO does not make much difference. The flash, like most pop up flashes, is not too effective and there is no hotshoe for external flash.

There is noise at ISO 400 making it almost unuseable.

Make sure when you change the batteries replace them immediately because with low batteries or if you leave them out for a few minutes you have to reprogramme date and time.

Symphony's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads