Olympus Stylus 780 (mju 780 Digital) review

Started Jun 3, 2007 | User reviews
hapabonzo
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Olympus Stylus 780 (mju 780 Digital) review
Jun 3, 2007

I have been using my olympus mju780 for a week (including some test shots around where i live and a weekend trip to Rotorua).

I find this camera overall a pretty good performer. Night photos are great and I do think the bright capture technology makes a big difference. Took some stunning photos from an atmospheric italian restaurant. However, i find the day photos disappointing. I have played around a lot - white balance settings and different scene modes, but my pictures always seemed too dull to me. I used to own an olympus mju 300 and to be quite honest the old model had much better contrast and more vibrant colours. On the other hand, the truePic processor does bring the image colour true to the original without much distortion. The image quality is pretty average and i have a feeling that the lens has some difficulty focusing sometimes (especially with a five time zoom). The images tend to have soft edges and sometimes the entire image appears out of focus.

The overall features of this camera are great - love the bright capture tech, and the shadow adjustment effect also works really well (but for goodness sake, do not forget to turn it off when you finish using it). Although i do think having an ISO setting of 1600 is a bit of a waste as taking photos at higher than ISO 800 at night just gives you grainy photos. I don't think the image stabalization is all that effetive, especially when you manually set the ISO at lower settings. In addition, the ability to capture moving objects is still pretty bad when image stablization is turned on.

Construction-wise, i can't really speak much as i have only used it for a week. I belive that the all-weather body is quite effective as the camera still works perfectly fine after being taken into a hot-spring resort with steam in the air - my camera case was completely wet but the camera was fine. Although i do have some complaints about the LCD screen as it is a bit hard to see in bright sunlight.

The design of the camera was great with very easy to use buttons and scroll panels. I also loved the fact that the buttons get illuminated in the dark.

Overall, this mju780 is quite enjoyable. However, i personally think it's not a straight point-and-shoot camera. I quite often see myself changing settings several times before the images turn out to be the way i want them to be. You would love this camera if you enjoy taking night photos, but probably not a camera for those who fancy vivid colour in their pictures.

hapabonzo's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads