Pentax Optio W30 review

Started Aug 27, 2007 | User reviews
Michael Hackney
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Pentax Optio W30 review
Aug 27, 2007

I've finally found my "perfect" point&shoot digital to augment my Canon SLR. I have dunked 4 cameras in rivers in the last several years, tried waterproof sacks and cases and all had their issues. Not only is this little camera waterproof (more in a sec) it takes exceptionally nice photos for a point&shoot. My kids have videoed themselves going over Franconia Falls in NH (8' drop into an ice cold pool of water) while holding the camera. No leaks, awesome videos. We just returned from a 10 day trip in Ut and Az and the camera took amazing photos of the landscape and our activities. I took it places that I would not take my Canon - rafting on the Colorado, mountain biking in Moab, UT, swimming from our houseboat on Lake Powell. Does it take pro quality photos, no! Does it take great snapshots of family and memories, yes! This is the 15th digital camera I have owned in 8 years and it is truly the first little camera that I carry all the time.

I feel for those who have had waterproof issues. I do not know if theirs were "operator issues" or camera problems. I can say that any camera that can be handheld over Franconia Falls multiple times and take crisp movies and photos wiithout failure is OK in my book!

Problems:

Had it for 6 weeks and shot over 2000 photos - over 200 in or under water - with no problems yet.

Michael Hackney's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads