Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ2 review

Started Sep 4, 2007 | User reviews
Digi Tal
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ2 review
Sep 4, 2007

I was looking for a quality, compact zoom camera to augment my 2 Canon digitals. I was not even considering a Panasonic, much less a Lumix TZ2. I liked the lens on the TZ2 but I wasn't sure that Panasonic, with limited years of experience in digital, had the depth to produce a decent camera. The sales person at Henry's was very helpful in advsing me to have a look at this camera. It turns out I was wrong.
The camera is solidly built and it feels and handles like a high quality digital should. It has no viewfinder and no manual modes but it has a very clear LCD screen which is anti-glare and it has lots of SCN modes, enough for me anyway. The quality of the pictures is outstanding even at Auto mode. I have taken at least 300 pictures so far in every possible lighting situation.
It has all the bells and whistles that a novice like me needs in a quality zoom digital and then some.
But best of all, I got a really high quality, robust camera with a Leica Vario-Elmar lens with O.I.S. AND 10x Optical zoom and 28mm Wide for $319 at Henry's. You just cannot beat that quality and price.
I considered it's successor, the TZ3 but at $499 all it offered more was a 3 inch screen and 7MP vs 2.5 inch screen and 6MP for the TZ2. For me it was not worth the extra money.
I can honestly say that this camera performs/feels much better than my Canon SD 630.

Problems:

There is no viewfinder or Manual mode on this camera. Its not an issue for me but bear that in mind when you buy.

Digi Tal's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads