Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S800 review

Started Sep 11, 2007 | User reviews
David P Cheng
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S800 review
Sep 11, 2007

I had the S800 for nearly a month, have taken more than a thousand shots and the close shot pictures are generally clean with excellent colour and resolution in bright daylight.

The 6X lens gives less purple fringing at high contrast edges than the W7, which I also own, and the highlight clipping in bright scenes are less too.

Camera shake has a lesser effect on the pictures at low light conditions, again compared with the W7 when both are set to Program (Auto).

Noise levels are similar to that of the W7, OK with ISO <=400.

Battery life is excellent with Sanyo Eneloop and Sony Stamina and lasts a whole day >100 shots including standby.

Problems:

The photos are a bit too soft, especially distant shots with long zoom and in low light.

Some focus hunting at long end of the zoom, especially with low contrast subjects at a distance in low lght.

Occasional AF errors, for example, when focussing a bird in the hazy sky, the moon or an aircraft at a distance or in low light.

Shutter release and lag a bit slow, taking shots while moving or fast moving subject can be a problem. I missed shots with it while on a bus.

No manual controls.

Dust get inside the LCD screen and the lens structure easily; those inside the lens can be cleaned by compressed air but those inside the LCD cannot be cleaned.

David P Cheng's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads