Pentax Optio M10 review

Started Sep 18, 2007 | User reviews
David Akins
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Pentax Optio M10 review
Sep 18, 2007

Nice snapshot camera. My second digital camera (first was Sony DSC-P7). Plusses:
- Large LCD
- Easy to learn and use
- Incredibly long battery life

Problems:

My Pentax Optio M10 developed a problem 10 months after purchase. The lens stuck in the deployed position and would not retract when the camera was powered-off. After researching and complying with their requirements for in-warranty repairs, I sent the camera to Pentax Service in Colorado on July 23rd. Pentax Service stated that they would send a postcard with confirmation of receipt and a repair order number I could use to track the repair on their web site. I never received this card. I phoned to check status after 4 weeks. I had to wait in their phone queue for about 15 minutes until a friendly and helpful young man named Paul came on the line. He explained the process and timeline, and gave me the repair order number so I could track the repair. I received the repaired camera on September 14th, a total time-away-for-service of about 7 weeks.

In my opinion, this warranty repair took much too long. The camera was out of my hands for almost 2 months. Sadly, this is becoming the norm among more and more electronics manufacturers. They’ll proudly tell you that they provide a one year warranty, gladly take your money when you buy the product, but severely understaff their repair centers and make you wait-wait-wait for any needed repair. I like the performance and operation of this camera, but I would not buy a Pentax again due to the excessively slow repair service.

David Akins's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads