Nikon Coolpix S51 review

Started Dec 8, 2007 | User reviews
PhotoDocGVSU
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
Nikon Coolpix S51 review
Dec 8, 2007

Honestly, I think "prob" is being overly critical.

I too bought the S51 on Black Friday. I wanted a compact point and shoot for my wife: something that would take good pictures without having to fiddle with a ton of settings.

The S51 is delivering that beautifully.

Both the flash and non-flash pictures we've been taking look fine.

Are they "noisy"? Well, that depends. At ISO 400 they seem about as noisy as my DSLR (Olympus E-510) is at ISO 800. However, they're LESS noisy than my other PS (A Panasonic Lumix FZ-10) at ISO 200.

That seems acceptable to me.

If people are looking to get noiseless images out of a compact camera with 1/2.5" 8MP sensor at ISO 800+ they're kidding themselves ... laws of physics say it can't be done. But compared to the 1/2.5" 4MP sensor in the Panasonic, this little camera is doing quite well.

The build on the S51 is solid, the vibration reduction works well (a nice feature on a $199 camera) and it comes with a 3x optical zoom in a credit card sized package. I'd say that's not bad.

If you want something with a lot of manual controls that takes RAW images and gives you full control over the creative process, look elsewhere. If you want a credit card sized point-n-shoot that you can keep in your pocket / purse at all times that will deliver good point and shoot quality photos, you'll enjoy this camera.

Problems:

Big 3" LCD is nice, but SO easy to smudge.

Battery / SD card door is a bit cranky.

I'd like just a FEW more manual control options ... but that's me.

PhotoDocGVSU's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads