Olympus SP-550 UZ review

Started Dec 16, 2007 | User reviews
Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 2,019Gear list
Like?
Olympus SP-550 UZ review
Dec 16, 2007

I bought this camera for my wife, I own a couple of DSLR's and she just isn't comfortable with them. My wife loves the zoom and took great pictures of Ichiro Suzuki batting at Safeco Field all the way from behind right field at the Hit it Here Cafe. Of course our pictures were taken in daylight on a typical overcast day here in Seattle so the lighting contributed to the good pictures. My wife next took this fine little camera to So. Carolina to take pictures of new grandbabies. When my wife got home we downloaded the pictures and were very disapointed, they were taken in low light and she didn't use the proper settings, live and learn. I have since done a little coaching and her pictures have much improved. Bottom line good camera but not a point and shoot you will have to take the time to practice with the settings and all is well.

Problems:

Auto settings in low light don't work well. With some experience this is a nice camera. The 550 doesn't stack up to DSLR's but is a great everyday vacation camera that doesn't require you to pack around a case full of lenses. Oh did I say the macro is fantastic. At full zoom the pictures aren't quite as sharp but in proper lighting they are perfectly acceptable for family albums.

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +25 more
Darrell500's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads