Pentax Optio S5i review

Started Apr 2, 2008 | User reviews
Fabio da Fisica
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Pentax Optio S5i review
Apr 2, 2008

I have been using this camera for 6 months. Three days after I bought it, I friend of mine let it fell down from a 1,5 meters high. As the camera was switched on before falling (the lenses were open), I thought this would be the end of my brand new camera! For my surprise, after switching off and on, the camera restarted as if nothing had happened! It got only a scratch near the battery compartment. This demonstrated that besides its fragile appearance, this is a quite robust camera.
What I most like in this camera is that it is much customized, there are many options that can be altered in each scene mode according to user necessities. There is a quick button, which function can be chosen by the user (among 10 options). The supermacro function is amazing, allowing to photography really small things from a few centimeters distance. It is surprising that such a small camera have good facilities like this. This camera fits any pocket, so can be used as our daily camera, which we can carry anywhere we go. In my case, I have two different cameras, this pentax S5i and a superzoom fuji 10X zoom camera, the last one I take with me only in situations where high quality photos are necessary.

Problems:

Photos from this camera taken in default mode of contrast (normal), present very high contrast. Therefore, the user has to set up the contrast to minimum level before shooting. The automatic white balance isn't good in my opinion, photos have a yellowish appearance if the automatic WB is employed. This can be easily corrected in any software of image edition, but It would be better if this wasn't necessary. Since the camera has the option of 'manual' white balance, you can also carry a white piece of cloth or paper to use as a white reference before shooting.

Fabio da Fisica's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads