Pentax K200D review

Started May 6, 2008 | User reviews
usapatriot
Contributing MemberPosts: 809
Like?
Pentax K200D review
May 6, 2008

I've had the K200D for about two days now and I have played around with quite a bit.

The first thing I thought when I un-boxed the camera and held it in my hands was how well built and solid the camera was. Same thing when I un-boxed and attached the kit lens, I got the kit from Amazon and got the 18-55mm mk2. I definitely like the very decent manual focusing ring on the lens compared to the crappy ones on other manufacturers kit lenses, Pentax also included a lens hood, something Nikon and Canon do not do with their own kit lenses. The kit lens is VERY sharp, I do not intend to replace it with another lens of similar range.

The AF is quick and speedy in almost all conditions, in low light it can hunt a little but usually acquires focus afterwards much more quickly in the same lighting. In good light the AF is excellent, quick and speedy and reasonably quiet.

Continuous shooting is rather poor (I managed to fire off 6 frames at 2.8fps before the camera slowed) but camera response times are good, if you press the shutter, a picture is taken, so you don't have to wait for the camera to finish writing to the buffer before you take another shot.

The cameras mirror slap is amazingly quiet! It is very low pitched and more of a quick "clunk" like the Nikon D300.

Shake reduction works well, so far I have managed to take a sharp picture at 1/8 at 18mm.

The viewfinder is good, no problems there, the matte field screen helps when using MF.

The user interface is pretty simple, but it will probably take a couple of days to learn and get used to it, don't expect to pick it up out of the box for the first time and be able to use every feature or change every setting.

Image quality is excellent and you can fine tune color and wb extensively, JPEG's look great, and processed RAW files look even better.

ISO, no reserves about using ISO 1600, it is perfectly usable.

Problems:

-Auto White balance a little finicky
-I would like to be able to display ISO and # of shots remaining while "OK" button is set to center AF point when AF point is set to user selectable.

usapatriot's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads