Nikon Coolpix S52 review

Started Jul 30, 2008 | User reviews
bhash
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Nikon Coolpix S52 review
Jul 30, 2008

I have had Nikon's first internal telescoping ultracompact camera (S1) for the last three years - I have found it almost bulletproof and I need a small rugged internal telescoping type of camera for many outdoor activities, as it is lightweight, very small and has no moving external parts.
I took the S1 it on several long backpacking trips all over the world, scuba diving (with underwater case), whitewater rafting, kayaking, camping, etc. I even dropped it once, fully submerged with no case in water and it came back to life after it dried out. It finally died on me after many good years and many photos.
My biggest issue with the S1 was low light performance.

So I bought an S52 a month ago. The performance, especially low light, battery life and high-res huge LCD screen, is much improved over the S1.

Low light photo quality without flash is amazing for a small camera with a tiny lens, thanks to the new optical lens shift vibration reduction. Autofocus is great.
Power on to first shot time is a little slower than I would like, but acceptable.

Most photos ended up a bit on the cool shades (i.e. bluish) and I had to correct manually after downloading.
Very easy to use and navigate.

However, after just getting it slightly damp (not submerged, just damp), it died on me after a month.

Construction is a little to light - body is thin and not robust enough, unless you treat it like a princess and only use it for clubbing and family shots.

LCD scratches too easy. I think it would obvious that people are going to be putting a camera this small in their pockets with keys in them, and should be protected more.

Not sure why Nikon stuck with the Nikon-specific connector for connecting to the computer, with a separate battery charger. Nikon connector is a leftover from when it was a docking station for both charge and download. Now that it doesn't come with docking station, it should be mini or micro USB connector to camera - I don't need extra cables around my computer for no reason.

If Nikon beefed up the body, made the LCD more scratch resistant and protected the camera against moisture a bit, this camera would be amazing for the size and price.

Problems:

Body is very thin.

LCD scratches easily.

Got a little moisture in it and it died on me in a month.

bhash's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads