Olympus SP-560 UZ review

Started Aug 16, 2008 | User reviews
svuori
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
Olympus SP-560 UZ review
Aug 16, 2008

A bit about my quest for the compact. I was on market for a compact last year. I handled SP-560 back then but then something took over me and I bought a Canon G7. We never became friends.. I couldn't love G7 no matter how hard I tried. SP-560's memory started haunting me. So, I sold the G7 and bought an SP-560 a while ago... should've got that back then. Oh well, live and learn (get the thing you love, not something someone else loves).

Construction: one of the best I've handled. It feels very solid, materials feel good.. there's something luxurious. Grip is wonderful.. it really grips YOU!

Features: There's everything and the kitchen sink . and a bit more. It will brew you coffee and call a taxi.. Why not 5 then? Well, that's my objection to stuffing in every not so useful feature (um, alarm clock?,?) Also, one of the few real annoyances is that there does not seem to be any way to force flash on when in super macro mode.

Image quality: Well, obviously not DSLR quality, but surprisingly good at base iso (50), and that's pretty much what I use and need .. I certainly like the photos a lot more than the thousand ones I made with G7 before giving up.

Ease of use: Well, actually the camera is quite *easy* to use (snap away).. however, certain settings could be easier/faster to access. One programmable button and four my modes help quite a bit.. but oh well I'm a bit spoiled by back panel and dedicated buttons of my DSLRs.

Value for money: Well, I bought it a while ago and it was the cheapest camera I've ever bought.. and it's so great and inspirational little thing .. it takes me out for walks to snap a few pictures. It feels just so marvelous. Can't give anything less than 5

Other: Battery life is good. Focus speed is fine.

Problems:

No flash in super macro mode.

svuori's gear list:svuori's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +1 more
svuori's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads