Nikon Coolpix L14 review

Started Sep 6, 2008 | User reviews
ChrisDowning
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nikon Coolpix L14 review
Sep 6, 2008

I had a couple of problems with this camera right from the start. I suppose i started out from the wrong point, having originally seriously considered the P5100 and then gone for this as I thought I wouldn't have to worry about it in my pocket and i'd take it everywhere. Whereas that is trues and it's always in my pocket, I suppose I expected more froom this camera from the start (without having to pay much either).

First the focus didn't seem to work well adn having sent some samples to Nikon they suggested I send it to them for recalibration. that seemed to work quite well and the image focus improved. then 7 months later the whole len / focus mechanism stopped working. Sent it back again and under warrantee they fixed that problem FOC. The service from Nikon is excellent and i have no worries about ever buying another camera, although this one had problems. For what it does it does it well. It slips into the pocket very easily and on auto take a good picture - provided the light is good. It takes very nice portraits and close ups - but i think action shots, flash and dark lighting are weak areas. It's not that the camera can't take good pictures, its just that the lens system and the sensitivity doesn't lend it well to difficult conditions.

Problems:

The image quality was not what I expected from a 7mp camera and I sent Nikon some samples a week after getting it. To be fair they replied very quickly and suggested I send it to them to be recalibrated - it came back a little better but not really what you expect from 7 megapixels. It's pretty much what I'd expect from about 2. 7 months later the lens has stopped working properly and the camera is back under warranty and being fixed again. I think their service department in the UK is great and it works very well - but I'd rather not use it at all.

ChrisDowning's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads