Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX37 review

Started Nov 30, 2008 | User reviews
dzihan
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX37 review
Nov 30, 2008

I was on the search for a new digicam recently. Main requirement: it had to be small enough to fit in the pocket allowing me to carry it everywhere I go.

So after a comprehensive shootout I found myself with two contenders: the FX37 and the FX150. So I lend both at my favourite seller and did a thorough testing.

The FX150 had a slight resolution advantage, but IQ did not really profit from that because of unpleasant noise. At ISO 100 and 200 both cams were at similar levels, but from ISO 400 upwards the FX150 really suffers quite a lot from chroma noise as well as heavy softening due to noise compensation.

With the FX37 this is not so dramatic, even at ISO800 you will get decent shots if you setup the device properly.

Another pro for the FX37 is the slight advantage at the wideangle. 3mm do not sound a lot, but in direct comparison I found it to be essential, when doing close group shots indoors or capturing landscapes.

That's why I decided to stick with the FX37 as it suits my needs better than the FX150, which is a fine device nevertheless!!

However, if you come from the pro DSLR segment (as me) and never got in touch with the P&S segment you'll clearly need to 'learn' this kind of photography from sketch. It's quite amazing how well the current algorithms of the most recent devices work and how easy it got to get remarkable results.

Just don't care about the myriads of settings and parameters of your DSLR and simply aim and shoot.

Problems:

A bit disappointing is the fact that you cannot record unlimited HQ movies (e.g. until the space of your card depletes). So you're limited to 8'20" videos in full HD mode, no matter how big your card is. That's not state of the art.

Another point is the rather poor AWB, esp. in artificial light situations. However with the ability to do a manual WB this can easily be worked around.

Also woth mentioning: you cannot directly set the postprocessing sharpening inside the cam. In standard mode images are sharpened rather conservatively. If you like pp your images afterwards, this would fit well. However, if you prefer punchy images out of the cam, you will have to set image pp to "VIVID", what also will increase saturation and contrast together with sharpening. A fine tuning of this parameter is not possible.

dzihan's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads