Canon PowerShot SX10 IS review

Started Dec 25, 2008 | User reviews
Al Hepburn
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS review
Dec 25, 2008

I've had the camera about a week. It is a replacement for my S2IS, which co-icidentally croaked the day after I placed the order. I have spent most of my time so far familiarising myself with the multitude of options. These are complicated by a considerable number of post-shot processing options which, for my purposes, are superfluous. I do all this stuff with Photshop. I suppose if you had a need for on-the-spot printing, they might be useful.

I haven't used the thing in a wide enough variety of conditions to comment on the image quality yet, but have a few comments on the usability - see "problems" below.

I like the extended zoom range, standard AA batteries, good battery life, the fully articulated display, and the easily stored lens hood. The face detector linked to the self timer works amazingly well.

It fits in the old S2 leather case, though it's a bit tight.

Problems:

The manual focus requires about two turns of "the wheel" to go from 2' to infinity at maximum wide angle, but this increases quickly to a whopping 14 turns as you go towards maximum telephoto. It's also not smooth. I checked with Canon and they said this is normal performance. Anyway, it's virtually unusable beyond about 85 mm focal length.

The new lens cap (vs. the S2) is an improvement, but it lacks a tether, so was going to get lost the first time out. I drilled a 5/64" hole through the clip part of the cap, and attached the old tether from my deceased S2. Problem solved, and it almost looks like it was meant to be that way.

The autofocus seems to have difficulty on occasion. To be fair, most of my fiddling with it has been inside in relatively low light conditions.

Some of the buttons can still be pushed inadvertently.

The continuous mode is so slow you might as well just push the shutter yourself. Not very useful.

Some purple fringing is evident. Haven't taken enough outside shots to assess how severe this is.

Al Hepburn's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads