Olympus Stylus 1030 SW review

Started Jan 6, 2009 | User reviews
Randy Sauder
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW review
Jan 6, 2009

Fantastic camera BUT DON'T USE UNDERWATER!!. Very easy to use with good controls but I don't recommend it for ANY underwater use...put this camera in the sink for 10 min and I guarantee there will be condensation inside the battery compartment. Scary! There are a few settings that take some practice to understand how to get to them but the UI is very logical. I got it primarily for it's waterproof feature and build quality...BUT have to recommend NOT to trust this camera UNDERWATER unless you have a backup camera!!!! I bought one in August '08 before a Greece trip- tested it in pool before using it; all seamed fine until I took it for a 10 min swim at a depth of 1foot....it fogged up and enough droplets of water entered to kill it DEAD! The compartments were all closed tight I am sure. Not tight enough as they are CRAPPY SEALS! (obviously). I took it back after end of trip and had it replaced new- I still wanted to give it a another chance. I just got back from a 2 week Mexico trip and took the new one on a few short freshwater swims; all was good. Then I took it a week later on a 30 min snorkel and found that it was very easy to use underwater for pic and video. I was very happy until I raised the camera up to capture a pic of an awesome Eagle Ray....and the camera was dead. Back to shore and verified it leaked into the battery compartment; max depth less than 10 feet. # of dead cameras I've experienced = 2.

Problems:

Coincidence or can two brand new camera die underwater die back to back with minimal use. I can't replace this one now as it's 6 months old with maybe 150 pics taken. I got this so I wouldn't have to setup my D70 or 300 in it's underwater enclosure. Looks like it's going to be sent into Olympus for warranty repair (replace!!!). If it is replaced I recommend strongly not to use this camera underwater at all unless it is inside an water-enclosure; I will buy this accessory immediately; hopefully it's quality is truely waterproof. I've lost great respect for Olympus. These cameras must have a major design flaw. I nearly lost all my pics taken with it over a 3 day period; thankfully I used an image recovery program on my card and 99% of the pics/vids I took of the family. Thanks to God for my main camera Nikon D300 to which I could not live without....

Randy Sauder's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads