Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd / Fujifilm FinePix S6500fd review

Started Feb 19, 2009 | User reviews
HughNN
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd / Fujifilm FinePix S6500fd review
Feb 19, 2009

I've owned a 6500 since the fall of 2006 and in spite of upgrading to a 9600 a year later, I have gone back to it as my prefered option alongside my film cameras.

Why? Quite simply it is an ideal camera for website pics requiring little or no adjustment in Photoshop to produce adequate and even excellent results within its limitations - which I was taught and remains true, if not truer today. The lens is fantastic; purple fringing doesn't seem to be as horrendous as on the 9600 but it doesn't like white objects such as boats or weatherboarding (clapboarding)

Problems:

The autofocus can be frighteningly slow particularly for anything moving faster than a snail so have largely abandoned the continous option for the single mode with a prefocus on a chosen point just like the old days of manually focused SLRs! Even then it can get confused so it pays to double or treble shoot if one can and keep the best image

The battery compartment is prone to pop open if you so much as breathe on that part of the body which is a pain but only once have the batteries shot out. Curiously it is less of a problem since using rechargeables and AAs is a big plus with reasonable life

I have also found there needs to be an elememt of premption in pressing the shutter when taking event the aforementioned snails; too oftern in early days I press the shutter far too late; again single focus prefocussed has helped.

The worse aspect is downloading to PC. It hardly ever works first time, unlike the 9600. I've never had a problem with camera shake so once downloaded, it is a simple task to view the pics and delete any duds

HughNN's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads