Fujifilm FinePix J10 review

Started Feb 20, 2009 | User reviews
rolleiman
Contributing MemberPosts: 616
Like?
Fujifilm FinePix J10 review
Feb 20, 2009

What attracted me to this particular camera was the combination of light weight,
sturdy aluminum body, good optics and outdoor picture quality. I do a lot of
mountain biking and like to have something capable of a decent shot but not worth
crying over of I take a tumble on it. My usual pocket camera is an F100 so the bar
was set pretty high. After testing various budget pocket cameras, this one came out
the winner. Certainly, the 'big' camera beats it in side by side comparisons and is
more consistent in exposure and so on, but there are times when I have to look up
which camera took the shot. It does surprisingly well on fringing/flare and CA and
perhaps its main flaw is a bit of vignetting and barrel at wide angle. Tele is very
even and sharp. Noise is low from 64 to 400 and 400 beats some much higher
priced cameras I've had. It is more contrasty outdoors than the F100 but so is
pretty much everything else. Colors are not oversaturated, which is my preference.

The main thing is that at 22mm thick and 110 grams it goes unnoticed in your
pocket. The newer J15 is pretty much the same with face detection for a few dollars
more, but considering the price of slightly over $100 it's a bargain if it's all you
need. What it does, it does well; and what it doesn't do is pretty obvious from the
start.

Problems:

The tungsten white balance is pretty yellow in household lighting, but that's a
common problem. The battery that came with mine seems short lived and inconsistent
in capacity but it's identical to some Olympus batteries and widely available
aftermarket.

rolleiman's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads