Olympus Stylus 9000 (mju 9000) review

Started Mar 28, 2009 | User reviews
rt22306
Senior MemberPosts: 1,802Gear list
Like?
Olympus Stylus 9000 (mju 9000) review
Mar 28, 2009

I purchased this model a little over a week ago, and have a bit over 200 shots with it thus far. It is a very sturdy feeling little camera, the battery/card door and latch are small but strong/positive. Selection dial small, but quite positive. Start up times to first shot aren't bad (buffering times with M type xD card can be slow especially on 12mp Fine), zooms smoothly. Flash seems very powerful for package. Camera is black/chrome and competes well against a black/white and chrome '57 Chevrolet Bel Air in showroom condition.

No provision for increased sharpening, saturation or contrast in shooting menu (saturation can be increased in editing mode). No op yet to try Beauty feature/and editing, but Shadow adjustment in other modes seems to work well. Very pleased with the Exposure Compensation feature display (shows what image will appear like with -0.3, -0.7 etc. side by side in one display) before adjusting. Battery life with not much flash, but with lots of viewing images and in-camera editing seems very good to me.

Now the not so good; my images appear a bit soft and all need PP to bring the best out at all focal lengths. Have seen other reviews where images scored very high, but my example (or my shooting, it has been cloudy or rainy every time I've gone out) isn't there yet. Consider them average for the class of camera, but the 10x zoom sways me to score higher. Auto contrast/levels/contrast adjustment does wonders for pics.

It is a very well made, handly, and reasonably well performing P&S. Seems to be made with the shooter who wants minimal control while shooting, and makes corrections made when printing (I tend to be the opposite).

Problems:

Softish images. No other complaints.

rt22306's gear list:rt22306's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Kodak EasyShare Z990 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Stylus 1 Pentax K10D +6 more
rt22306's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads