Canon PowerShot SX10 IS review

Started Jun 10, 2009 | User reviews
Bill_C
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS review
Jun 10, 2009

I purchased the camera a few weeks ago and I can't put it down. It's beats my problem-plagued Nikon Coolpix 5700 hands down. It has a ton of EASY TO ADJUST settings and a nice menu system. The wide angle/zoom lens is great along with the image stabilization. I shot a far away item at 80x (yes, 20x plus optical zoom) with the image in the viewfinder shaking all over the place. Took the shot and the Image Stabilization kept the photo rock solid. I could see the rust around a bolt hole on top of a very high electrical tower 100 yards away. Just crazy. Anyway, I'm super happy with the camera. Battery life is excellent.

Funny that the built-in pop-up flash is low-tech in that you have to physically pop it up with your finger if you want to use it. Frankly, I think I prefer it that way. I hate automatic flashes. The viewfinder suggests when it should be used anyway.

Problems:

Not really a complaint, more like a wish. One nice feature is the video hot button. You can start video recording at anytime by hitting the record button, no matter what photo mode you happen to be in at the time. Then, while video recording, you can also still snap photos. Unfortunately, that tends to momentarily interrupt the video while the still is inserted into it. The still is also stored as a separate still photo, but I would have liked an option to just store the shot as a photo and not have it inserted into the actual video.

I think it's "Continuous" shooting mode is a little too slow at 0.7 fps, especially when needing to capture a rapid fire sequence of action shots. But, hey, you can't have everything at this price. If you want more rapid-fire shooting you'll want the Canon SX1 IS model ($200 more).

Bill_C's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads