Canon PowerShot SX10 IS review

Started Jun 26, 2009 | User reviews
DoctorJerry
Regular MemberPosts: 399Gear list
Like?
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS review
Jun 26, 2009

Overall, this camera is very close to perfect, the minor problems may be significant for some users. Let me place my opinions isn some context. I have owned the S3, S5 and now the S10. I currently own the Nikon D90, have owned the Pentax K10 and Canon EOS350d. I have also owned numerous other cameras since I need to stay abreast of what is going on and to stay ahead of my phtography students.

The zoom action is fast and the focusing is accurate. However, here is where one of the imperfections shows up. Because my hand is larger than average, my thumb can accidently ingage the Manual Focus part of the 4 way rocker button. Also Canon has implemented using the rim of the 4 way rocker assembly to change settings, my thumb does this very well, in most cases accidently.

The articulated LCD is very very good, When I half push the shutter button it clearly shows what the shot will look like. In dim light the LCD does a good job of brightening up.

The EVF is fast and alos very good. It is easy to examine a shot that way or using the LCD.

Build quality is very good, no complaints here.

I have decided to use a filter adaptor (lensmate) which appears to be very good. I was initially concerend but have rethought the problem and decided that the lens shade weighs about the same as the lensmate with a filter attached. Of course, you cannot use the sunshade with the lensmate attached.

Menu system is typical Canon and thus very good and intuitive.

Shutter lag is barely noticeable.

Con: the implementation of the circular wheel around the 4 way rocker, c umbersome to use accurately

The lack of RAW images.

Problems:

No problems after about 1000 shots

DoctorJerry's gear list:DoctorJerry's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS
DoctorJerry's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads