Canon PowerShot SD990 IS (Digital IXUS 980 IS) review

Started Sep 2, 2009 | User reviews
Danl Johnson
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Canon PowerShot SD990 IS (Digital IXUS 980 IS) review
Sep 2, 2009

This camera replaced the 6MP IXUS P&S, with which we were quite satisfied, and is clearly a step up: the sensor has more pixels than necessary, but is apparently the same one as used in the G10, and the image-processing is a step up. Face detection is nice when the grandchild is not in the center of the frame. We like the instant post-exposure replay mode in which the focus point is shown in an inset at 1:1 so that focus accuracy can actually be assessed.
It's a lovely, pocketable, snapshot camera that provides excellent image quality without any fooling around when tweaking is impossible, such as flying my glider. I just works.
Battery life is very long (we don't use flash very much, and don't use the LCD much, either), and a 4MB SD card can be archived nicely on a DVD-R. Two SD cards, two batteries, and we're good for a couple of weeks.

Problems:

Well, it's not an SLR. If I want the highlights preserved, or if the grandkids are moving fast, I have to use my SLR (Sony A700) for its instant focus and instant shutter. Like all P&S cameras, it has to meditate, however briefly, before actually launching itself to grab in image. Some modes are slower, some faster.

Danl Johnson's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads