Canon PowerShot SD940 IS / Digital IXUS 120 IS review

Started Oct 30, 2009 | User reviews
spassbremse
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Canon PowerShot SD940 IS / Digital IXUS 120 IS review
Oct 30, 2009

Disappointing handling and construction.

I've been a Ixus 70 user so far and I very much appreciated its handling, which had been outstanding! Supposing the Ixus 120 still had the same advantages as far as handling is concerned, I must admit the Ixus 120 is pretty disappointing.
Buttons are pretty hard to push (this is really disappointing for daily use) and after two weeks of use the zoom crank is blocked and needed to be repaired.
Concerning the menu, it seems the only development of Canon was put into appearance: The menu looks fancy, but is not user friendly. Could the Ixus 70 be used intuitivly with one hand only to set Iso, shutter time, exposure compensation etc, the Ixus 120 cannot be used as easy. To change Iso Settings and to set exposure time one has to navigate through a fancy looking but inefficient menu. I am also missing the option to assign a specific option to a button (such as the print button of the ixus 70).
A big minus is that in order to take pictures with a specific exposure time, one has to use a given night programme (the ixus 70 had a pretty good M mode, that could be used for long exposure much more easy). There is no such thing in the Ixus 120.

A big plus is the video mode. The HD picture is astonishing as well as the sound recorded by the cameras microphone.

Conclusion: I wanted a small, easy to use camera, to always carry around. Concerning usability the Ixus 120 is a step backwards.
If you want to buy it, get your fingers on it beforehand...

Problems:

Cons:
1. Buttons to hard to push
2. No M mode
3. Fancy instead of intuitive navigation in the menu
4. Blocked zoom crank after 2 weeks of use

spassbremse's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads