Canon PowerShot SD980 IS / Digital IXUS 200 IS review

Started Nov 27, 2009 | User reviews
denooyer
Regular MemberPosts: 314
Like?
Canon PowerShot SD980 IS / Digital IXUS 200 IS review
Nov 27, 2009

I use a Nikon D300 for 'professional' shoots and mostly take my Canon Powershot A710is with me for the holidays and in case I just want quick snapshots.

I was looking for a camera that had the same picture quality as A710is, but only with a wider lens (around 24mm instead of 35mm) to accompany the D300. In other words, the new compact should replace some work of the D300...

Little I knew, bought this PowerShot SD980 IS (Ixus 200is in Europe) mostly for it's 24mm. I wanted a canon anyway for its colours and high detailed shots compared to other manufacturers. That is exactly the reason I don't like Sony's, Panasonics, Olympus, Samsung, Casio etc.: the pictures are 'smeared'. A field of grass doesn't look like that, but more like a lawn from a golf gourse. With canon you could at least distinguish the individual blades of grass. I thought.

Information on the internet told me that this camera would also have a 'super-fine' mode. The A710 also had this (for that camera lowest) level of compression, so this camera had to be good. 'Now I will have a 24mm on a compact with the same, or likely better, picture quality' was my thought...
I returned the camera 3 days later, but only because I couldn't return it the same day. I took 6 or 7 pictures with it, compared it to the results of the A710 and was totally disappointed. This product would be fairly good if the level of compression was lower. The 12MP also looks like overkill.

Construction: pretty much OK I quess, feels solid/sturdy.

Features: there are settings, but again, super-fine is missing for me. If you don't care about that, rating can be a 4 I quess. I din't care much about the touch screen, which also was disappointing. As mentioned in another opinion, you need fairly much pressure; it's not like the sensitivity of an Iphone. I'm still not convinced of touch screens. Not on phones, computers and camera's that is.

Image quality: for me it's poor, but maybe it's because I'm used to D300 and A710 results. If you don't have comparison I think the quality can be somewhat satisfying.
But details are just lost at 'fine' setting. Super-fine would be great on this camera!

Ease of use: this camera is (at least for me) small, very small. Therefor buttons also had to be small I quess.
I don't like it. The power button and selection button(?) for choosing video, program picture mode and auto picture mode is annoying, but I'm used to the mode dial of the A710. Quick access to all your functions! With the Ixus 200 you have to browse a slow menu to get to the panaroma-stich function for example.

Value for money: In the segment of this camera the price was average.

Problems:

see above

denooyer's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads