Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 review

Started Jan 17, 2010 | User reviews
mcaseyfox
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 review
Jan 17, 2010

I Love this camera1! I have shot with Nikon digitals (through the D2x) for years and have always longed for this camera. Yes--there are tradeoffs, but having still and video in the same unit is HUGE for me! The high res EVF, while not as "natural" as an SLR, is actually easier to get critical focus--its manification is high (much more so than the highest manification DX Nikons) and 100% frame coverage. I bought an adapter for nikon lenses off eBay ($36) and have found I can do more with 40 year old Nikkors on this camera than I could on any Nikon digital. Manual focus is much easier to get right on this camera and the stop down metering is seemless, because the EVF autogains to adjust for the lower light levels--AND you can see stopped down sharpness and DOF in real time with the EVF. With many Nikon digitals, you have to stop down to meter and then revert back so you can see what you're doing. Some Nikon digitals simply won't let you use old lenses on the body. I can walk out the door with one camera (smaller than any interchangeable lens camera I have ever used) and know that I can get great stills and GREAT video no matter what. Plus, with these adapters, I can play around with all kinds of funky lenses from any manufacturer. Yesterday I was using an old vivitar belolows and a Nikon 50mm to take pictures of my daughter's individual eyelashes. Pretty cool.

mcaseyfox's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads