Fujifilm FinePix A170 review

Started Jan 18, 2010 | User reviews
axlotl
Contributing MemberPosts: 632
Like?
Fujifilm FinePix A170 review
Jan 18, 2010

This little wonder cost me AU$99 in a KMart store in Sydney. For the money it represents remarkable value.It appears quite well built, is easy to hold and easy to use. The user can control ISO, exposure compensation, macro, flash, timer, 3x zoom, movie mode, display options and quality level ( jpg only). Focus time is average for a compact with no lag time if prefocussed. All the several hundred pix I have made thus far are correctly focussed and exposed. All show very decent image quality with just a bit of softness and purple fringing in the corners at the shortest focal length. Overall image quality is surprisingly good with quite good DR and resolution. A4 prints come up very nicely. A real winner in the value for money department. I dont know how they get such decent quality on the market so cheap.

Problems:

None really but there are two issues.
First alkaline batteries are consumed quickly so a set of rechargable NiMh AA batteries and charger are worthwhile.
Second there is visible digital noise even at ISO 100 with JPG artefacts. ISO 200 is OK and 400 occasionally acceptable with lots of chroma noise and watercolor effect. I can't help thinking the camera would be better served by less pixels and less noise.

axlotl's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads