Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR review

Started Jan 23, 2010 | User reviews
Maxime B
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR review
Jan 23, 2010

I'll start by saying what this site conclud in his review. This camera is a great allrounder (as far as compact go) ; wide-angle, great lens, fast operations, you can rely on auto, some controls, best dynamic range, one of the best high iso. If I had to choose a compact camera to live on a desert island (quite a non-scense scenario), I would take this one.

The Exr sensor work just as advertised, only let down is the HR mode that is not up to the previous model (f100fd) in definition.

A lot have been said about this camera so I will just write on the points that seem important to me:

- The f30/31 versus f200 high iso argument : it's really splitting hair. They are 95 % equivalent with the former relaying more on noise reduction. Except for battery life, the f200 is a better camera on every aspects. I have own both.

- Fuji "watercolor" high ISO are gone (SN mode) ! That's a fantastic new. From the last 2 years preceding the f200 launch, Fuji have been relying to much on noise reduction to deliver noise free high ISO without raw for the compacts. It gave "clean" results, but when the details are gone in jpg, it's over, you can't bring them back. But you can apply NR to the f200 files if there are to noisy for you.

-The jpg allow amazing post processing possibility, very close to what you can do in RAW (and I work with foveon RAW files).

-Contrary to the finding in the review here, I found the image stabilisation to be quite effective, more like 2-3 stops that one. I had 90% optimum sharpness results at 1/8 or even 1/4.

Problems:

-The lens is beautiful, but have barrel at wide-angle.
-Getting the best of the camera is quite complex, you can trust EXR auto to make the right choices, but it mean continus focusing (battery drain).
-The zoom is way two sensitive. It only can be use if your are very delicate with it.
-No auto iso in full manual.
-The camera alway prefer to use old fuji's "image stablisation" (raising ISO) when allow to instead of slowing the shuter. Workaround is to fix the auto ISO that is acceptable to you.
-Don't use Astia or Velvia at high ISO, the will have chroma noise faster that Provia (even in SN).

Maxime B's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads