Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 review

Started Feb 23, 2010 | User reviews
joehagg
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 review
Feb 23, 2010

When I first heard about this camera, I wanted it but couldn't find it anywhere...and $1499
was a bit much to justify. Then the GF-1 came out and I went with that camera instead and
was pleasantly surprised at its amazing image quality and portability. Last week, however, I
saw that the GH1 price had come down a bit, so decided why not get it as well and see what
happens - can always sell it on eBay. Went up to SF last weekend and spent a couple days
test shooting.

So...mixed results. At first, I felt the 14-140mm zoom - while an awesome range - took softer
photos than using my 45-200mm zoom with similar exposure/etc settings. The HD video,
while it looks good, is awkward when zooming (obviously). The AVCHD format is....less than
desirable for post work but I'm looking at ways around it. Not a total dealbreaka as I tend to
use my ZS3 for HD video. I did like that the GH1 has a larger image sensor so shooting 3:2
gives you larger images than with the GF1 for the same pixel density.

Viewfinder - awesome. I even used it in almost pitch black in my hotel room and was able to
make out more than with the LCD. I could also check pictures after taking them using just
the viewfinder and not the LCD.

End result? ...I'm torn. I love the GH1's larger chip, the full 1920 video (despite AVCHD
issues), the large 14 - 140mm zoom range, stronger flash, the viewfinder, and the swivel
LCD. But I also loved being able to carry my GF-1 in my pocket, a lens in the other pocket,
and not looking like a tourist everywhere I go. The auto-focus on both cameras is almost
instant, even in dark settings, so I'm not sure what folks are talking about re: slow auto-
focus.

Has anyone done a similar comparison test between the two cameras?

joehagg's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads